set all free posters - order here
Lion Hudson Publishers
Back to top
- set all free, with The Stapleford Centre and RMEP, is developing three KS2/KS3 pupils' books in RMEP's Faith in Action series:
- with an accompanying teacher's CD resource and assembly outlines
Due Autumn 2006:
- Son of Africa ? the story of Olaudah Equiano and the campaign against the slave trade
- Fighting for Freedom ? the story of Sam Sharpe, Nat Turner and John Brown
- Freedom Now! ? the story of Cecilia Flores-Oebanda
- set all free Special Discount Pack: CD + 1 copy each of the three books
- Church study resource pack for 2007 by set all free, CAFOD, CMS, USPG, Tearfund, Action of Churches in Scotland
- Act to End Slavery Now, Anti-Slavery International and Churches Together in England, 2006
- Advent Prayer, an Evangelical Alliance initiative, is a daily prayer guide for use during the build up to Christmas. This year the guide will focus on the abolition of slavery both from a historical and present day viewpoint. A single free copy can be downloaded from www.eauk.org/prayerguide or bulk copies purchased on the same website or by phoning .
- Anti-Slavery International '1807-2007: over 200 years of campaigning against slavery'
- Amazing Grace in the Life of William Wilberforce ? Aitken, Jonathan, Crossway Books 2007.
- Bible Sunday materials ? web-based and hard copy Bible Sunday materials for church leaders. Contact Lindsay Shaw, Bible Society,
- Black England, Life Before Emancipation, Gerrzina, G, 1999, Allison & Busby.
- Black Ivory: Slavery in the British Empire, Walvin, Blackwell Publishers, 2001.
- The Black Jacobins ? Toussaint L?Ouverture and the San Domingo Revolution, James, C L R, Penguin Books, 2001.
- Black Slaves in Britain, Shyllon, F O, Oxford University Press, 1974.
- Black Theology in Transatlantic Dialogue, Reddie, Anthony G, 2006. Palgrave Macmillan.
- Bristol and Transatlantic Slavery, edited by Dresser, M and Giles, S, Bristol Museums & Art Gallery.
- Britain?s Slave Empire, James Walvin, Tempus, 2000
- Britain?s Slave Trade, Martin, Steve & Phillips, Trevor, Channel Four Books, London, 1999.
- Bury the Chains: The British Struggle to abolish the slave trade, Adam Hochschild, Macmillan, 2005
- Capitalism and Slavery, Williams, Eric. Andre Deutsch,1964.
- Caribbean Slavery in the Atlantic World: A Student Reader, Shepherd, V and Beckles, H M, James Currey publishers, 2000.
- Christianity magazine articles; six monthly articles in Christianity magazine from Autumn 2006 on issues and themes relating to the bicentenary, Contact John Buckeridge,
- Colour, Class and the Victorians, Lorimer, D Holmes & Meier, 1978.
- DIGNITY: sing out against slavery CD of spoken word and music, together with songbook of traditional and new music. Contact Ali Bullivent at
- Equiano: A Son of Africa DVD ? volume 1, Aimimage Productions, telephone /font>
- Hero for Humanity, Belmonte, Kevin, Navpress, 2006.
- The Interesting Narrative of the Life of Olaudah Equiano, or Gustavus Vassa, the African various editions
- The Mighty Experiment, Seymour Drescher, Oxford, 2002
- The Narrative of the Life of Frederick Douglass, an American Slave, Penguin, 2005.
- John Newton: A slave set free, Howat, I, Christian Focus Publications, 2003.
- Liverpool ? Capital of the slave trade, Cameron, G and Crooke, S, Picton Press, 1992.
- Making the Black Atlantic Britain and the African Diaspora, Walvin, J, Leicester University Press, 2000.
- Negroes in Britain Little, K, Routledge, 1998.
- Out of Slavery, Foster, Nardia.ï¿½ Redcliffe Publishing, Bristol, 2004.
- Post Traumatic Slave Syndrome: America's Legacy of Enduring Injury and Healing, Leary, Dr Joy, Uptone Press 2005.
- Radical Narratives of the Black Atlantic, Rice, Alan. Continuum International Publishing Group, 2003.
- Rough Crossings, Simon Schama, BBC Books 2005
- Scotland and the Abolition of Black Slavery, 1756-1838, White, Iain. Edinburgh University Press, 2006.
- Setting the Scene for 2007, set all free
- The Slave Trade: The History of the Atlantic Slave Trade 1440-1870, Hugh Thomas, Macmillan, 1997
- Slaves who abolished slavery Vol 1 Blacks in Bondage, Hart, R, Institute of Social & Economic Research, University of the West Indies Press, 1980.
- Staying Power: The History of Black People in Britain, Fryer, P, Pluto Classics, 1984.
- Thomas Clarkson ? A Biography, Gibson Wilson, Ellen, Palgrave Macmillan, 1990.
- Thoughts and Sentiments on the Evil and Wicked Traffic of Slavery and the Commerce of the Human Species London 1787, Cuguano, O. Penguin Books Australia, 1999.
- The Unchaining Word study pack for churches based on Wilberforce's inspiration for campaigning by the Church. Contact Lindsay Shaw, Bible Society,
- Voices against Slavery ? book on ten Christians who spoke out for freedom. Contact Christian Focus Publications,
- Voices from Slavery, Chike, Chigor ? London, 2007
- When We Ruled, Walker, Robin, Every Generation Media, London, 2006.
- Wilberforce, John Pollock, Kingsway, 1977
- The Wilberforce Connection, Clifford Hill
- William Wilberforce: The Freedom Fighter, Bingham, D, Christian Focus Publications 1998,
Back to top
- 47 - Mosley, W. Little, Brown & Company, 2005.
- A Harlot?s Progress - Dabydeen, D. Cape, London, 1999
- A Respectable Trade - Philippa Gregory
- Ama: A Story of the Atlantic Slave Trade - Manu Herbstein
- Ancestors ? Paul Crooks. BlackAmber Books 2002,
- Beloved - Toni Morrison
- Cambridge - Caryl Phillips
- Roots - Alex Haley
- Sacred Hunger - Barry Unsworth
- Uncle Tom's cabin - Harriet Beecher Stowe
Back to top
- Amistad ? Stephen Spielberg, 1997Glory - DVD released 2000
- free Glory downloadable PDF study guide from Film Education www.filmeducation.org/resources.html
- Roots DVD released 2002
- free Amistad downloadable PDF study guide from Film Education www.filmeducation.org/resources.html
Back to top
- The Beacon Museum, The West Strand, Whitehaven,
Cumbria CA28 7LY
Tel. ; http://www.copelandbc.gov.uk/ms/www/thebeacon/The-Museum.htm
- Birmingham Museum and Art Gallery, Chamberlain Square, Birmingham, B3 3DH
Tel. ; www.bmag.org.uk
- Black Cultural Archives, 1 Othello Close, Kennington,
LONDON SE11 4RE
- Bristol Museums, Princes Wharf, Wapping Road, Bristol BS1 4RN
- British Empire & Commonwealth Museum, Bristol, Station Approach, temple Meads, Bristol BS1 6QH
- The Cowper & Newton Museum, Orchard Side, Market Place, Olney, Bucks MK46 4AJ
Tel. ; www.cowperandnewtonmuseum.org.uk
- Lancaster Maritime Museum, Custom House, St George's Quay, Lancaster LA1 1RB
- Merseyside Maritime Museum, Albert Dock, Liverpool L3 4AQ
- The Museum of London, London Wall, London EC2Y 5HN
- National Maritime Museum, Greenwich, London SE10 9NF
Tel. ; www.nmm.ac.uk\
- Wilberforce House Museum, High Sreet, Hull HU1 1NQ
- Wisbech & Fenland Museum (Clarkson) Museum Square, Wisbech PE13 1ES
Back to top
Back to top